Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (Intro)

(Copied from my Facebook page)
I just started reading Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (WaterBrook Press, 2004). She & her husband homeschool their kids & have written several books. This book is written in a study format with questions at the end of each chapter. I read the introduction yesterday and tried to work through the questions today for my devotions (didn't quite make it through)!
One question/assignment was the read Proverbs 14:1 "Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh is down with her hands;" then list 4 ways you can build your house by ministering to your children. Here's what I came up with, along with corresponding Scriptures. What 4 goals can you come up with??

Goal 1: Help my children be physcially healthy by modeling and providing good choices in food and physical activities.
Proverbs 31:27 "She looketh well to the ways of her household."

For me this is a big one! I am not the best eater by any means, although I have become very conscious of my food choices since I was diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycemia in fall of 2009. I can build my house by providing healthy choices for my kids - a lot of what they eat is MY choice, and I can set a good or bad example by what I put into my mouth. And exercise.. . . a whole day can go by and I never take my kids outside to play - not once, because I'm too busy. That's not looking "well to the ways" of my kids! However, I have started doing yoga most mornings (using Wii Fit Yoga!) and it's really neat to have my kids stretching & posing with me.

Goal 2: Teach my children about God daily.
Deut. 6:6-9. You probably know this passage. It talks about teaching God's Word to our children, when we "sittest in thine house, when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. . . bind them for a sign upon thine hand. . write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates." I think that pretty much sums up all my time! LOL

Goal 3: Respect my husband (directly & indirectly)
Ephesians 5:22 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as to the Lord." It's to the Lord. Would I treat the Lord the way I treat my husband sometimes?? 'Nuff said.

Goal 4: React lovingly
I Corinthians 13:4 "Charity suffereth long and is kind."

So many times I react volatilely to my kids (not violently, but angrily). I need to react patiently and kindly. I am their example of Christ and He doesn't snap at us when we go him for the thousandth time with the same question or request.
So these are my builidng my house goals. I would love to hear what yours are. 

1 comment: